Tuesday 29 April 2014

Saturday 26 April in Granada

As I stumbled out in the dark in Seville to catch the early morning train to Granada









, the thought of "what on earth was I doing?"  had crossed my mind.  Three hours later all negative thoughts were quickly dispelled when I arrived in Granada.  As the taxi drove me to my accommodation in the centre of town, I caught glimpses of snow capped mountains.  I gasped because after being in fairly warm Seville, I had no idea that Granada was bordered by the Sierra Nevada.  I immediately indulged in "chocolato caliente y churros" - the most delicious thick, velvety hot chocolate into which you dip your melt in the mouth pastries.  Now I was ready for anything!  Granada had a completely different feel to that of Seville.  The buildings were more substantial & definitely less colourful - more European in the northern sense.  Suddenly I came across narrow alley ways that gave way to the Moorish influence, with market stalls selling local products under ceramic, Moorish arches.  As I kept walking, the imposing Catholic Cathedral towered over the nearby plazas & streets.  The market of St Augustin was in full swing with local vendors showing off their fresh fruits & vegetables.  I couldn't believe the size of the new season's asparagus!  Wherever I sat either for a drink or a rest, there seemed to be a variety of buskers who sang & played guitar like the "Gypsy Kings".  I knew I was in Andalucia!  That night I stumbled on a free concert outside the imposing facade of the Cathedral & listened to a wonderful singer/guitarist who was showcasing his new songs accompanied by an equally great flutist.  Not bad for one day!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh..the place is looking very nice for visiting.There is lots of places for visiting. I will certainly consider it. Thanks!
    best cities to visit in italy

    ReplyDelete